Hikari Morikawa, MA, MSSA
Chief Consultant, STEP Global, LLC.
Hikari Morikawa has worked for both relief and development programs in Egypt, Guatemala, Honduras, Laos, Kosovo, Peru, Sudan, Thailand among others. Her focus has been on human resources development in communities with limited resources. Specifically, she has worked to strengthen service delivery skills of local “helpers” who provide psychosocial support, empowerment and health education. As a child, she witnessed discrimination and oppression towards her non-Japanese friends in her hometown in Japan. Those experiences are the core of her keen interest in empowering marginalized populations. Working for US NGOs and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Hikari has developed and implemented skills training in counseling, facilitation, leadership, communication and health education for non-professional nurses, community health workers, victims of political violence, indigenous women and abused girls and women. Hikari received her Master of Science in Social Administration from the Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences, Case Western Reserve University and her Master of Arts in History from Tokyo Women’s Christian University. She is an avid gardener.
Mori J. Morikawa, MD, MPH, FAAFP, SFHM
Project Manager, STEP Global, LLC.
Medical Director, PCC Family Medicine, UVA Medical Center
- Supervised the delivery of primary care in 3 northern provinces in Afghanistan.
- Provided bedside teaching in tertiary care hospitals in Hangzhou, China.
- Implemented emergency primary care clinic and trained local health care providers in Vushtrri, Kosova.
- Trained health care providers in a district hospital for basic war surgery in Xieng Khouang Laos.
- Provided primary surgery and medical care to disarmed Maoist child soldiers in Surkhet district, Nepal.
- Helped the Master’s Program in Family Medicine as an external examiner for Alzaiem Azahri University, Khartoum, Sudan.
- Helped develop family medicine residency program in the Chiang Rai Provincial Hospital, Thailand.